This recipe is an adaptation from Betty Crocker’s Quick Fixes (p34).
I was excited to find this easy peasy from-scratch polenta recipe in this cookbook. This was my first time making homemade polenta. I did not add cheese as it suggests in the original, so that it remained dairy free and also plant-based. This recipe can be served as a side with meat or independently.
I don’t keep canned artichokes hearts in the house so I subbed those out for fresh tomatoes. I also had a beet that needed using up so that went on the grill in place of a bell pepper.
The original version suggests this would yield 6 servings, but we found it was better proportioned for four.
[Forgive me, upload issues… Again. Picture to follow]
What you will need:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 cup boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium beetroot
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, rough sliced
How you can do it:
- Whisk together cornmeal and cold water in a medium saucepan.
- Add the boiling water and salt, and bring up to a boil stirring constantly, before allowing to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill vegetables – whole or chunks or sliced.
- Prepare vegetables for serving by slicing or chopping
- Serve polenta first and top with veggies.
If you have the chance to try out this quick dinner, share with us along with the #CookingWithMummaAlsum.